Since I feel like everything has been crazy lately, I'm going to go to my comfort zone with my familiar music. Country, some love it and others can't even stand the thought of it. I listened to a few different artists, I listened to Hunter Hayes, Tim McGraw, and Josh Turner. Not a bad trio. I listened to Josh Turner's "Your Man" (3:32) and "Long Black Train" (4:16). I listened to Hunter Hayes's "You Think You Know Somebody" (4:27) and "Tattoo" (3:18). I also listened to Tim McGraw's song "Shotgun Rider" (4:03) which is the song I am choosing to talk about. I personally love Tim McGraw's voice. I think his voice would be classified as tenor. His voice is low but not bass Josh Turner low. Although I am not sure how high he can sing either. Maybe he is a bass? I love this song and I've said it before but, it is so hard not to sing
along. I have always enjoyed Tim McGraw's voice. In fact, one of his
older songs was my first favorite song as far back as I can remember. The main instruments are definitely a bass and a guitar accompanied by the percussion. I think this song is full of incomplete cadences and that the tempo is moderate but speeds up just slightly as the chorus begins. The song is not a slow song by any means but no where near what I consider fast either. The melody repeats with different lyrics accompanying it. The songs texture is polyphonic, containing a main rhythm with vocal and instrumental accompaniment.
LINKS:
"Shotgun Rider" https://youtu.be/BkpuLMsDn48
"You Think You Know Somebody" https://youtu.be/e4KEAq1ZPrM
"Tattoo" https://youtu.be/Q0d33qutetQ
"Long Black Train" https://youtu.be/PyRZTAmcW7c
"Your Man" https://youtu.be/nADTbWQof7Y
For unfamiliar music I decided to listen to four piano pieces by Antonin Dvorak. The total time of these four pieces equals fifteen minutes and thirty seconds. The first called "Impromptu" (0:00-3:32) is homophonic and beautiful. Its moderately fast and has two different melodic lines. It sounds almost like a chase scene from an old cartoon. It does slow down about a minute into the piece after an incomplete cadence. It becomes calm and peaceful, making it harder to focus for me. The tempo quickens at about two minutes and thirty seconds, returning to the older chase scene and then slowing even more to remind me of a very sad and grim scene from a movie. Maybe a funeral? It to is an incomplete cadence quickening just slightly before coming into a complete cadence and ending the piece. I wonder why Dvorak alternated between these two tempos? The second piece is called "Intermezzo" (3:39-7:01) is slow paced in the beginning and is also homophonic. It begins to get louder and for just a second makes you think it is going to speed up. But it returns to its slow tempo. It does this a couple times, altering the tempo ever so slightly. This piece sounds so familiar and I cannot for the life of me remember where the familiarity comes from. It is truly beautiful though and it is calming without sounding grave and heartbreaking. The third piece "Gigue" (7:16-9:49) it is moderately fast paced and happy. It sounds like a piece that would be used in a ballet of some sort. It has a few incomplete cadences that alter the tempo very little but make you think it is going to end because the notes are slow and the last note played is soft but prominent and then it starts to quicken again. The fourth piece "Eclogue" (9:55-15:26) begins soft and moderately slow. Although the notes (that are what I see as accompaniment) are fast, the main melody seems slow. I get a relaxing feeling from this piece, even through the quicker paced parts. It does have a grim feeling to it though through the slowest parts. It has the same few notes being played as the main melody throughout most of the piece.
LINKS:
"Four Piano Pieces" Dvorak https://youtu.be/QvQe4SX8oiY
Hi Paige! I had a friend in high school that liked Hunter Hayes. I heard his song "Tattoo" on the radio a few times, and have quite enjoyed it. I have never heard of the other song of his that you mention, but hear the same sound to it that all of Hunter Hayes songs has. I always have found country music to be soothing and relaxing, and the songs in the country genre sound very similar to me. I have heard of Tim McGraw, but not of his music, really. His song is mainly homophonic, with him being the melody and the percussion and guitars as background accompaniment. As for your unfamiliar music, I do agree that it sounds calming. I hear the different tempo and dynamic changes that you mention and agree that it gives the song more character. I also feel too that the song sounds beautiful, but not sad like you mention as well. Thanks for sharing!(:
ReplyDelete